Dash of Rose

A dash of rosy positivity

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Reorganizing Glovebox: Baby Fiat edition




I've had my Fiat for nearly two years now.  For nearly two years I've had this problem:
I don't keep a whole lot of things in the glovebox... partly because it isn't very big (7" wide in the back, 6" deep...appropriate for my tiny car) so things constantly spill out whenever I open it which is rather frustrating.  In addition, the glovebox is shaped funny.  It's not a symmetrical shape inside, it's doesn't even have right angles.  There is also nothing preventing the contents from spilling out and just sitting on the glovebox door.  On top of all that... there is no light in there.  It is dark... even with the interior lights of the car on, I still can't really see in the glove box, especially from the driver's seat. Double problem.

Materials:
Pellon Peltex Fusible Interfacing (very stiff)
Cotton fabric
Needle & Thread
Round adhesive rubber pad (Similar)


Step 1: Measure the interior of the glove box where the shallow box will sit.  Extend each of the sides out to create the upright sides perpendicular to each of the sides.  The width of these will be dependent on how shallow or deep you want your box to be.  I kept mine at around 2".  Cut it out.




Step 2: Iron on the fusible interfacing onto the "wrong" side of the fabric leaving a lot of space around the interfacing so the extra fabric can wrap around the other side of each side as well as to the bottom of the box.  This way all the visible parts of the box will be covered.  Be very generous with the amount of fabrics you add around the interfacing as this will make it easier to sew later to make sure you don't have any gaps.




Step 3: With the nice fabric on the inside, sew the edges of the interfacing from each side together while ensuring the extra fabric is folded over to cover the interfacing (#1 and #2). When sewing on the bottom of the box note that #3 has very long gaps between the stitching whereas the side that is visible on the inside of the box the stitching is very tight so as to minimize visibility of the stitching at large.  Alternating from long(bottom) and short stitch(inside) to sew the fabric to the box is the approach I took here.  #5 is the inside of the box where you cannot see the stitching.  #6 is the bottom of the box where you can see the stitching but that's okay... because once you place the box in the glovebox you won't even see the bottom anyway.  Keep in mind throughout the process of stitching the fabric on to make sure the edges of the fabric are turned in so you don't have frays sticking out (as you can see in #6).  #7 is the finished bottom and #8 is the finished interior of the box.




Step 4: I found a random adhesive rubber pad lying around that I put at the ends of the rod so it won't slip down the sides of the glovebox walls.




Step 5:  Adhere the LED light to the roof of the glovebox (Make sure it is behind the metal latch so your glovebox door can close.  This particular light is activated by tapping these tiny metal "buttons" on the light.  I chose this one over a motion activated one because I was concerned that it would randomly turn on from the things in the glovebox moving around. Insert the tension rod and adjust accordingly so it is firmly set between the two side walls of the glovebox.  I kept it relatively low so because the red book that holds my car paperwork is pretty thick and takes up a good amount of space in the glovebox.



And you're done!
Interior of my car is now even tidier!

As I was writing this post I also realized that the big tootsie-roll cylinder pillow behind me doesn't go with Anything in my apartment... it needs a new cover, eh?




0 comments:

Post a Comment

© 2011 Dash of Rose, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena

09 10