Dash of Rose

A dash of rosy positivity

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Seersucker Blouse & A Precautionary Tale


Finally got around to sewing this shirt (and sewing in general).  I used a Deer & Doe pattern, the same pattern that I used to sew a previous blouse (that included a collar!).


I really like this lightweight seersucker fabric that I bought for my birthday with a fabric.com gift card that I received.  This fabric is just right for a summer workday because it is hot and humid outside the building but very cold in the office.  This is a good transitional temperature shirt with it being cute and comfortable to boot!

Blood and sweat literally went into this blouse.  It is not a difficult blouse to sew actually but I did have my first sewing injury the evening I started sewing this.

I had finished the bodice and was on to sew the sleeves onto the shirt.  I was not being as careful as I should be and was trying to sew closer to the edge.... then the machine ate my thumb.

My thumb was obviously too close because before long I had a broken sewing machine needle in completely through the top of my thumb.  I swiftly got it out, cleaned up and rested.  I'll spare you the details but I got paranoid that I didn't get it all out as it had broken in half so I went to the urgent care to get it x-rayed to make sure.  Thankfully, I had an hour before the urgent care closed... also thankful that I have health insurance.

As I left, the receptionist was funny and called out "now you can get back to sewing!" to which I responded.... "maybe not today"

I did get back to it the next evening to finish the shirt though then wore it to work the next day.  Thumb is still a little sore, but it's healing really well.  I'm very fortunate it wasn't worse, which is why I urge you all to be very careful.  Sewing can be very dangerous! There are a lot of sharp objects involved in this art.

Was the shirt worth it? I think it was certainly worth the lesson to be extra careful, and it turned out nice :)

Be safe and be happy, everybody!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© 2011 Dash of Rose, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena

09 10