Dash of Rose

A dash of rosy positivity

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Dressing for Dawn at the Downs

Welcome to Louisville, home of the Kentucky Derby!

Our department had a fun off-site event this morning to head over to Churchill Downs for breakfast: Dawn at the Downs.  What a beautiful day!

It was a lot of fun planning my outfit for this outing because it offered up an opportunity to sew! (Not that I need any excuses).  I realized that my closet had very few work-appropriate dresses because I knew that as soon as breakfast was over it was back to work!

The dress I chose to make was based on the Mint and Tiffany Style dress I made in a previous post.  The original dress pattern calls for knit fabric but it's hard for me to find knit fabric that I like, much more difficult than woven fabric.  I used fabric that I bought before spring as I was planning for spring fabric projects.  The only real change is that instead of a dress that slips on, I modified it with an invisible zipper in the back.  It fits well and I am pleased with how it turned out.  I sewed this earlier this week, just in time for breakfast at the tracks!

Now, on to photos of Churchill Downs on this beautiful and sunny day!
Out at the paddocks.


Blown glass model of Churchill Downs.




View from Millionaires Row.  It was still pretty exciting at the tracks because the horses were out in the early morning practicing.  Without the noise from the crowds, we could actually hear the horses heave as they pounded around the tracks.  They are such beautiful creatures and I'm looking forward to this Saturday as I'll be headed to the Kentucky Derby!  My friend and I are spending it in the infield so it's not as "fancy" as the grandstands or other seats but it'll save money for the tracks!  The day should be great fun as I have heard that the infield is like a giant party!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© 2011 Dash of Rose, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena

09 10